Water Damage Can Be Caused by Natural Channels: What You Need to Know About Flash Flooding
SERVPRO crew brought in drying equipment after flash flooding was endured.
Flooding in a structure can occur through natural channels such as flash flooding or through accumulation of water over a period of time from water line leaks/ruptures. Attacking this problem without professional help can become tedious and possibly dangerous in Pensacola. When your home and/or business are affected by water damage, it is critical to act immediately to minimize cost and inconvenience. SERVPRO of North Pensacola has trained professionals who are quick to respond and apply the latest equipment and techniques to make the removal of water and the restoration of your property as organized and pain-free as possible. The drying process is timed and documented to ensure the job is done quickly and completely.
Our hope is that we can make the entire unwanted experience “Like it never even happened.” SERVPRO of North Pensacola is prepared to resolve damage from any unwanted water, fire, mold, or passing storms.
What to do if You Suspect You Have Mold in Your Pensacola Home
Team in Pensacola called in to perform a mold assessment on a residential structure.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of North Pensacola for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of North Pensacola specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
Storm Damage Restoration in Florida- SERVPRO Professionals Provide The Steps Involved
SERVPRO technicians maintain an organized warehouse that holds hundreds of water damage restoration tools.
Storm damage restoration in Florida typically involves a multi-step process to repair and restore properties that have experienced damage from hurricanes, tornadoes, or other severe weather events. Here are the key steps involved in storm damage restoration:
1. Assessment: SERVPRO storm professionals will assess the extent of the damage to determine the scope of the restoration work required. This includes inspecting the structure for damage, assessing water damage, and identifying any potential safety hazards.
2. Emergency response: Immediate actions may be necessary to mitigate further damage. This can include tarping or boarding up damaged roofs, windows, or doors to protect the property from additional water intrusion or intrusion by pests or animals.
3. Water removal and drying: If the property has suffered water damage, water extraction and drying are critical to prevent mold growth and further damage. Our technicians will use specialized equipment to remove excess water and thoroughly dry the affected areas.
4. Structural repairs: Storms can cause significant structural damage, such as roof damage, broken windows, or collapsed walls. The SERVPRO restoration team will repair or replace damaged structural elements to ensure the safety and stability of the property.
5. Mold remediation: Florida's humid climate makes properties susceptible to mold growth after water damage. We will assess for mold and perform remediation procedures to remove any mold and prevent future mold growth.
6. Cleaning and sanitizing: After the structural repairs are complete, the restoration team will thoroughly clean and sanitize affected areas to eliminate any contaminants or odors left by the storm damage.
7. Content restoration: Personal belongings and furniture damaged by the storm may require cleaning, repair, or replacement. Our crews will work to salvage and restore as many items as possible.
8. Reconstruction: In severe cases, extensive damage may require reconstruction or remodeling. This can involve rebuilding damaged areas, replacing flooring, repainting, and restoring the property to its pre-damage condition.
9. Insurance claims assistance: SERVPRO storm damage crews can help homeowners navigate the insurance claims process by documenting the damage, providing estimates, and working directly with the insurance company on behalf of the property owner.
It is crucial to hire a reputable and experienced storm damage restoration company in Florida to ensure proper and thorough restoration after a storm. Our teams have the skills, knowledge, and equipment necessary to handle storm damage effectively and efficiently.
What Can You Do Before SERVPRO Arrives to Provide Water Damage Restoration
SERVPRO techs are called in to begin water damage restoration on Downtown Pensacola property.
You’ve just come home from a long day at work and are looking forward to kicking your shoes off and relaxing. You reach the front door, step inside, and SQUISH! The unmistakable sound of stepping on soggy carpet reaches your ears. In an instant, your mind goes from thoughts of relaxation to an urgent sense of determining what has happened. Now what do you do??
Safety First! Before proceeding further, check for issues such as sagging ceilings or slippery floors that could be hazardous to your safety. If you determine that is safe to proceed, try to determine the source of the water intrusion. If you find that a broken refrigerator supply line is the culprit, you will want to prevent water from reaching that source, and consequently further damaging your home. Be cognizant of the source of the water: it can be unsafe to handle contaminated water, such as a sewage back up, without proper protective equipment. Call SERVPRO of Downtown and North Pensacola for help! Our team of highly trained professionals is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for water damage emergencies. Once we arrive on site, we will evaluate the damages sustained, perform emergency water extraction as needed, formulate a plan for the mitigation process, and keep you updated about your property every step of the way.
It can be a very stressful situation to deal with water damages in your home, including the damage itself, working with your insurance company, and taking care of any belongings that may have also be affected. SERVPRO of Downtown and North Pensacola can help with all steps of this process, helping to make your damage “Like it never even happened.”
Staying Healthy around Standing Water Ferry Pass
SERVPRO is brought in to remove standing water in Ferry Pass residence after serious water damage is endured.
Floods can cause standing water in Ferry Pass creating the possibility of different types of disease. Even small puddles can pose a risk.
Some types of debris found in flood waters include dead animals, sewage, and rotted plants. Inside the home, you should watch for debris involving rotted food and electrical problems.
Viruses and bacteria can cause illnesses. To reduce your chances of catching something, SERVPRO of East Naples suggests:
- Remember that you can shake hands with an infected person and get infected.
- Wash children’s hands before meals
- Use bleach or other disinfectants on hard surfaces
- Keep your hands washed
- Do not allow children to play in the flood water
- Using bleach if possible, wash clothing and towels in hot water
- Disinfect children’s toys before allowing them to play with them
Cuts and rashes can become infected. Protect yourself and others in Ferry Pass:
- Avoid flood waters if you have an open rash or a cut
- Clean cuts or rashes. Cover them with a waterproof bandage
- Clean cuts with soap and clean water
- If a cut becomes red, swollen, or is oozing, get medical attention
Commercial Water Damage Restoration for Your Pensacola Restaurant
Water restoration experts at SERVPRO service water damage at Downtown Pensacola cafe.
Your restaurant in Pensacola has an assortment of essential plumbing needs which need attention. If you fail to meet these needs, it can have catastrophic consequences because the plumbing can experience significant clogs or other disruptive and damaging problems. Even though these issues can be severe, it is not uncommon for the senior members of management and the owners to be ill-informed about the necessary steps which can be taken to avoid potentially significant problems with plumbing.
Commercial water damage issues in your Pensacola restaurant are a huge hassle. It can stop your normal daily operations depending on the severity of the problem, and that means lost profits for you as the owner. At SERVPRO we understand this, we won’t hesitate to get to your business as soon as you contact us. As professional remediation specialists, we have the training and tools needed to get your business back up and running quickly.
If there is any standing water when we arrive, we use truck-mounted pumps to extract as much as possible, then use industrial fans and dehumidifiers to get the affected area dry again. If the damage is confined to a smaller area and you were able to keep your doors open to the public, we always work respectfully around you and your customers so we cause as little disruption as we can.
The sewer line is a part of your plumbing system which can be most prone to problems. It is wise to clean it out every few years. When it becomes clogged, it can contribute to the whole plumbing system of your restaurant getting backed up and causing flooding. The best way to avoid this potential issue is having the sewer line cleaned professionally. It can be done in a few hours during times your restaurant is closed, so you do not disrupt your operations.
Your restaurant’s plumbing is especially prone to clogs and other problems from large amounts of grease which can enter the plumbing from cooking utilities or washing dishes. Therefore, minimizing how much grease enters the plumbing is essential. Installing grease traps is a wise investment to make, as they help intercept any grease which accidentally enters the drain. The traps should be cleaned and emptied regularly to keep them functional.
Toilets can be another source of problems for any business that is open to the public. Installing high-capacity toilets can reduce the potential of them becoming clogged because these toilets use more water to flush.
SERVPRO of Downtown and North Pensacola knows that when your business is experiencing a water damage emergency that time is of the essence. Call us right away so we can come and assist you in fixing the issue and cleaning up your restaurant and getting you back in business.
When it Comes to Solutions, The Right Crew and Company is Key!
SERVPRO team leaders in North Pensacola utilize extensive experience to serve the storm victims of the panhandle.
Calling the right crew can be a game changer both financially and for your productivity. If you need solutions NOW, you need to be SERVed by a team ready and able to meet your needs ASAP. We know the importance of performing water cleanup to crawl spaces for North Pensacola residents.
Flooding is always a persistent threat to homes and businesses in coastal areas, as the city often falls in line with storms making landfall from the Atlantic Ocean or the Gulf of Mexico. Heavy storms and strong winds can be damaging enough, but substantial rainfall over days can cause groundwater flooding in various ways. Oversaturated earth cannot absorb rain, and it can sit on the surface and pool until it becomes a hazardous situation.
Flood from groundwater under affected homes can threaten areas like the crawlspace of residences. This open area beneath a structure can be the ideal installation point for utility connections like the water and gas. Because this is a hub for your in-house services, addressing North Pensacola area flood damage is critical to protect these fixtures and exposed structural elements supporting the house. When standing water exists underneath the house, there are several strategies to dry up the area.
Groundwater extraction is more complicated and problematic than removing standing water inside the house. Instead of electric submersible pumps that can continually remove volumes of water quickly and quietly, our SERVPRO professionals must utilize more powerful equipment like gas-powered trash pumps and engine-driven truck-mount pumps.
Drying up the lingering moisture in the area is the only way to address potential threats like mold and microbial growth. Lingering dampness can feel active spores in this environment to use organic materials like wood framing and supports to colonize. With centrifugal air movers carefully positioned, we can begin universal evaporative drying for the entire damaged space. We can also assess at this time if any reconstruction or other build back needs exist for your residence before we conclude restoration.
Flooding can often be one of the most damaging situations for homes and businesses in the area. Even if the standing water is underneath your home in the crawlspace, you might still be at risk for the effects that this elevated moisture and humidity can cause. No matter how we can help.
Reach out to our team today and find out why our technicians are your solution.
SERVPRO Cares: DIY Tactics for Damage Prevention.
SERVPRO Crew Pulls Together to Educate the Community on Prevention Tactics that Can SAVE.
When it comes to experts, we are it! Still, there are times where you may be able to remedy restoration issues, and you deserve to know how to do just that when you can.
Storm damages, sewer line bursts, pipes leakage and other water damaging scenarios can cause really serious, long-term consequences. This damage can be toxic and cause mold growth. To avoid this, and other long-lasting complications, you can try the steps below on your own.
Timing is a huge factor in the success of DIY tactics. The sooner you can act, the better. This helps prevent a worsening issue and even more health challenges to you, your family and co-workers. From the moment you notice signs, get moving ASAP for best results.
The first thing you should do is disconnect the outlets in the area.
Water and electricity can be a fatal combination, so make sure to disconnect all outlets the moment you discover water damage in your home. Even if it is not apparent that high impact damages are in store, the first step MUST always be this one. If this step is not prioritized, and you go into the home without disconnecting the outlets, electrical shock explosions can take place.
The next thing to do is to check for mold in the area. As most know, mold thrives in moist spaces, so taking the time to inspect the entire home or building immediately is key. Here are a few common signs to look for:
- The prevalence of a musty, earthy smell
- Darkening of the grout in your shower tiles
- Wallpaper peeling
- Dark or colored spots on your walls
Most obviously, it’s important to dry the water out!
Also was dry asap to prevent the damage from worsening. Leaving still water in any spaces, for any period of time, is a haven for germs and bacteria- weakening the structure of your home. A few ways that you can do this are using fans, dehumidifiers to dry out walls and carpets as well.
Another thing you can do on your own is remove any damaged items. All too often, water damage will wreak havoc on the items inside the home as well. It’s important to inspect furniture, carpet, flooring, drywall and other items that are of no use and are holding moisture ongoing.
The last DIY tactic we recommend is to disinfect!
Even if it seems a small area has the damage, you can’t be certain that bacteria has not reached other areas. We use the “better safe than sorry” method here and always suggest sanitizing the property with bleach as quickly as possible.
If you attempt some or all of the above, and you are still not reaching a remedy stage, calling our crew in is a sure bet to getting a solution in place and restoring the routines you need to carry on life as usual. We pride ourselves on being both educational with tips and hands on when the help is needed. That is how we SERV!
When Was The Last Time You Flushed Your Water Heater?
Maintain you water heater to extend its life, and help protect yourself from water damage!
Common answers include "I don't know," "Never," or "Wait What? You're supposed to flush you water heater?"
Because many home projects compete for your attention, water heater maintenance can be easily forgotten. Routine activities like running the dishwasher, showering or washing laundry depend on a properly functioning unit. Unseen problems may slowly develop into a catastrophe; so making sure to maintain your water heater is paramount.
How Should a Heater Be Flushed?
Performing a flush can help you identify problem areas. Before you start, establish a safety zone in the heater room. Then perform the following steps:
- To avoid electric shock, make sure floors and all other room surfaces are dry, and turn off your main water valve.
- Next, turn off the electric power circuit breaker or turn off the gas, depending on your heater's energy source.
- Wait several hours for the tank water to cool off.
- Attach a garden hose to your water heater drain, place the other end on your driveway, and open the tank drain so water can flow outside.
- Repeat until the unit is empty, then detach the hose, close the drain valve, turn on the main water supply, and safely restore the power.
When Are Flushes Recommended?
Although your heater may be working, these appliances lose effectiveness over time as water sediment builds up, so yearly flushing helps maintain the units in optimal condition. Certain signs may indicate that you need to schedule a water heater flush sooner.
What Are Some Early Warning Signs?
One of the first signs can be strange noises coming from the tank. Water may take longer to heat or leaks may begin to appear under the heater. Water discoloration or unpleasant odors can also signal problems.
What if There Is a Problem?
If you experience problems or feel you cannot safely perform a flush, you may want to call for professional assistance. Some issues may need to be identified and resolved by an expert technician or plumber. You can receive the help you need and best solutions can also be evaluated.
Preventative yearly maintenance can maximize the life of your water heater and help identify problems while they are small enough to be fixed. That's always a good idea!
More than Fire & Water Cleanup & Restoration
For your biohazard, mold, and deep cleaning needs, trust SERVPRO of North Pensacola!
The SERVPRO brand is known as a nationwide leader in water and fire damage restoration for both residential and commercial properties. Along with these services, did you know that SERVPRO of North Pensacola is certified in, and offers, a variety of additional cleanup and restoration lines to help both you and your property after disaster strikes? That’s right! So, what else can you rely on our highly trained and professional team to do for you?
- Biohazard Remediation – in the unfortunate event that an instance occurs at your property than leaves behind contamination that is considered biohazardous, our team can help! We provide biohazard remediation services for crime scenes, suicides, hoarding scenes, chemical spills, and a host of other contamination issues.
- Mold Remediation – as a licensed mold remediator in the State of Florida, SERVPRO of North Pensacola is trained and equipped to address and treat microbial growth. We work closely with a variety of vendors and suppliers throughout the area to provide the highest possible level of customer service and care for mold damaged properties.
- General & Deep Cleaning Services – our cleaning services can tackle even the toughest of messes. We provide duct, contents, upholstery, and even wall and ceiling cleaning!
- Reconstruction – After the mitigation has taken place, whether from fire, water, or any other disaster, we are also a licensed general contractor who can handle your reconstruction as well! Including drywall, painting, and framing, our team will work from beginning to end to make your damage “Like it never even happened.”
To learn more about the services we offer, request assistance, or for any other way we can be of service, please do not hesitate to reach out: 850-466-3076. Serving the communities of Pensacola, Ferry Pass, and surrounding areas, SERVPRO of North Pensacola is available 24/7/365 for emergencies, and we look forward to providing you with stellar customer service in your time of need!