The Do’s and Don’t’s of Fire and Smoke Damage
Alarm bells ringing, smoke billowing….
These are the last thing that a property owner wants to experience. Along with the safety concerns that come along with a structure fire, handling the cleanup, restoration, and reconstruction of the property can be very stressful. SERVPRO of North Pensacola, a local, trusted leader in fire damage restoration, is available 24/7 for your fire damage emergency. Until our team arrives, we suggest the following “do’s” and “don’t’s” when it comes to fire and smoke damage:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into carpet.
- Keep hands clean to limit soot spread.
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim, and appliances. After wiping down, these surfaces can be protected with a light coating of lubricant.
- Change HVAC filter but leave system off until a trained professional has inspected.
- Watch for any slip, trip, or fall hazards created by the fire.
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture.
- Consume and food or beverages that may have been stored close to the fire, heat, or water.
- Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in spoke odor.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or sagging.
Serving Gaberonne, Goulding, and surrounding communities, SERVPRO of North Pensacola is Here to Help when fire damage strikes. To learn more or request assistance, please give our team a call at 850-466-3076!